Saturday, September 17, 2011

Son of Ultraman!

Hey everybody! Here's the final process post about our old pal Ultraman! When last we left our daring hero, he had been covered in white charcoal drawings by the dastardly villain Benny Bladerunner. Will he escape unscathed? Is this the end of Ultraman? Yep, it is.

So, after all the sketching and erasing and sketching again, it's finally time to paint. I decided to lay him down on my dining room table where I do most of my painting so I could change my angle of approach a little easier. This position would hopefully make it easier to get the paintbrush into the tight spots like under his arms and between the thighs.

 I had still been undecided about what color to do the line work in, white or black, but after a little debate and a couple of Photoshop tests, white won the day. In the tests, white had stood out against the background so much better than the black and we wanted him to STAND OUT! With Ultraman laid out and completely at my mercy, I begin! I started off on his belly and the heart and the flames that spread across his chest...

Crotch shark!

The potted cactus is actually one of my favorite things on him!
Reminds me of that cartoon "Chowder"...

Workin' on the Chucks.

So after getting the front side done and reaching around the sides as far as I could, it was time to flip him over and do the back.


Cactus - Now with added spines!

Time to wrap this painting up!

Pretty much finished!

Long leggedy teapot...

A few things were changed or tightened up on the fly, and I revamped the face one more time, getting rid of the glasses and buck teeth I had sketched out, but leaving the handlebar mustache. I decided to just add shapes to his face to fill the space.

After all the painting on the statue was done,  it was finally time to turn my attention to the display stand. After priming it, I sprayed it all over with a few coats of black spray paint.

The rod sticking up slides into the bottom of the statue's right foot for support.
After the spray paint was dry, I traced the words "Mellow Mushroom" on the front of the base, and a peace sign on top. I then used a white paint pen to freehand maze-like designs all over the base. The only guides I had were the letters and the peace sign. There were a couple of spots that my hand got away from me a little bit, but all in all, I think it turned out nice.

After all of the painting was finished, I loaded up the statue and the base in my Blazer and took them back down to my Mom's shop in my parents' backyard. Once again, instead of standing him up to varnish, I laid him on a table, sprayed one side and let it dry for 24 hours, then flipped him and did the same to the other side. This way I would more easily be able to spray the hard to reach or easily overlooked spots like on the top of his head and under the forearms. And finally, after all of the varnish was dry, here's how he looked!

Well that's it! Now that this project is all over and my newest project is kinda hush hush, I'm not sure when I'll update again, but I'll try to make sure that I post something at least as often as I've been posting these Ultraman WIPs. And there could be an all new different statue coming my way soon too! Hope you're all doing well!

Happy trails from Ultraman and your old pal Benny!

Saturday, August 13, 2011


Howdy folks! Sorry it's been a while since my last Blog post, but I had a couple of other gigs that needed my attention in the interim and I haven't had a chance to update until now! So anyways, let's get back into it!

When last we left Ultraman, he had been thoroughly patched, sanded and primed and was now ready for the painting to begin. When I first started this whole process, I only had one idea in mind for how he should be painted, but throughout the preparation process I came up with several other ideas and became increasingly indecisive about what I should do with him. So I called my pal Buddy and asked him for some input. "Just go with the original idea, man. He'll turn out great!" came the reply so off we went.

I decided to do a base coat in blues similar to my usual painting style with pronounced brushstrokes. I wanted a textured but simple background for all of the drawings and cartoons he's about to be covered with.

All ready for his EXTREME Makeover!
Beginning the base painting.

Painted up all pretty-like!

After the base coat of blues were dry it was time to start sketching the designs. My idea was to just cover him from head to toe with cartoons, characters, monsters, and doodads. I had a few ideas for what I wanted to put on him, but most of the drawing would be on the fly, like sketching in a sketchbook. Although there was a lot of wiping off of drawings with a damp paper towel, and even a complete repainting of the base coat on the face because I wasn't happy with how it was turning out. Here are some shots of the sketching and drawing in process...

One of the things I knew I wanted to do was a flaming heart reminiscent of old paintings of the Virgin Mary, but with mucho flames.
Fried Egg!

Chuck Taylors, you knew I had to.

Still a few spots left to fill and Possum Kingdom representin' on the ribcage for my pal Buddy!

The Sun and the Moon!

I think I'm gonna do an actual painting of this guy...
A big tiki and a sophisticated worm. Pip pip!
A few flying saucers...


This is a character I've been messing around with for a while and haven't figured out what to do with him yet, so why not throw him in here! And yes, I think those are jet engines strapped to his head.

Well, that's all I have for now. I have a few more spaces still left to fill, it's not as easy as I thought coming up with totally random stuff to draw! On the next post, I'll begin the painting! Hope you're all doing well!